The Platform team creates the technology that enables Spotify to learn quickly and scale easily, enabling rapid growth in our users and our business around the globe. Spanning many disciplines, we work to make the business work; creating the frameworks, capabilities and tools needed to welcome a billion customers. Join us and help to amplify productivity, quality and innovation across Spotify.
We are looking for a seasoned Accessibility Lead who will define what excellence looks like and influence how Spotify continues to become easier and more accessible for hundreds of millions of our users across the world. Working from our Design Platform tribe, you will shape the Spotify accessibility strategy and work through the R&D teams embedded in our business units to ensure we enable a best-in-class approach to accessibility in all our user experiences.
What You’ll Do
Who You Are
- Own strategic accountability for our approach to accessibility at Spotify
- Partner with cross-functional leads in the R&D teams to prioritize accessibility work and effectively partners with practitioners (engineers, designers) and enable them to execute against the practices you determine
- Establish and govern the technical and design standards for accessibility across all our platforms and services
- Advocate and educate on behalf of your strategy across all levels of the company — from senior leadership to ongoing education/training programs for employees
- Conduct expert evaluations and reviews of our product (including key code reviews) to ensure compliance and uncover opportunities
- Stay up-to-date on technology and experience patterns in order to constantly be capable of communicating changes and updates to our approach to accessibility
- Expertly communicate, internally and externally, on behalf of Spotify on the topic of accessibility as a thought leader in the space
- Work from one of our major R&D office locations (Stockholm, NYC, London) with occasional travel to other R&D centers and our local markets
- You have at-scale and in-house experience with digital accessibility tech and design solutions, and policy
- You can demonstrate an expert understanding of WCAG 2.x guidelines and ARIA techniques
- You bring experience using and testing with assistive technologies (incl VoiceOver, Browser extensions, JAWS and NVDA)
- Beyond just design and research, you are comfortable with both web and mobile technologies and capable of participating in code-level review and discussion to enforce standards
- You are comfortable leading/directing impact through multi-disciplinary development teams that do not directly report to you
- You are a player/coach and servant leader with practical, hands-on experience in one of the core R&D skill sets (engineering, research, design) and capable of leveling from strategy and influence into some of the most critical company work, as needed
- You’re a fantastic communicator. You have the communication skills to help you work cross-functionally with those you need to influence and stakeholders. You shine most at motivating others to carry forward and execute a strategy without needing to be in the room.
- You have a user and evidence-based problem solving mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your teams instincts through user feedback and data insight. You understand the role and importance of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- You are hungry to learn and evolve in all things. From leadership skills to craft to process to industry and technology trends — you never stop pushing into the next big challenge.
- You are familiar and comfortable motivating large programs of work that you may or may not own directly. Balancing the needs of your accessibility strategy, our company strategy, and business goals with the practicalities of a company that values speed-to-ship over all things.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting the part of the work you lead vs did in those roles.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 230 million users.