As the world’s largest audio streaming subscription service, Spotify Premium enables millions of creatives to make a living from their art by connecting them with the people who love it. Research & Development deep dives into user behaviour to create a more valuable and meaningful experience for subscribers. It’s here that you’ll grow our audience and our platform, working with many disciplines across many locations to build innovative and tech-powered product solutions.
We are looking for a passionate and experienced UX Director, who will lead a team of Product Designers, User Researchers, and Data Scientists to discover new ways to serve Spotify customers and help our support advisors serve those customers every single day. By using customer insights, you’ll lead the team in the design, launch, and optimization of self-service, contextual, and partner integrated support solutions, enabling Spotify to continue to deliver amazing customer service experiences. This key role can be based in Stockholm or New York.
What You’ll Do
Who You Are
- Be responsible for the design and product insights of all internal and external customer service products and experiences
- Work with small multi-disciplinary teams made up of representatives from engineering, product, and our awesome Customer Support teams, among others.
- You will help tell the story of, and advocate for, the quality of customer support experiences across Spotify business units.
- Take into account existing insights, technical constraints, business needs, and specific platform demands to produce data-solutions and data-informed design solutions.
- You’ll have full ownership of the work of your team and total responsibility for every detail, every step of the way.
- Play an active role in partnering with cross-functional peers in leading cohesive design across the Spotify platform.
- Lead the team to ensure continued personal and professional growth, and build an environment that attracts world-class data scientists, user researchers, and designers as the team grows and develops.
- Define challenging objectives and key results together with the team, monitor progress, eliminate roadblocks, and prevent distractions.
- Work from our Stockholm or NYC office with occasional travel to our other major R&D centers (London, NYC, Stockholm) and some of our worldwide advisor contact centers.
- You have at least 10 years of direct managerial leadership with teams that build service and support systems at either consumer-focused technology, media, or SaaS companies
- You have experience leading both cross-functional User Experience teams with a variety of crafts (Visual, Interaction/IA, Writing, Research). This includes skills like management of senior managers, and across multiple levels of Product/UX Designer experience.
- You are a player/coach and servant leader with practical UX design and research chops you don’t mind dusting off from time-to-time. You’ve shipped many consumer products over the years, and understand what it takes to craft awesome, consumer-oriented experiences.
- You’re a fantastic communicator. You have the interpersonal skills to help you work cross-functionally with business partners. You shine most at motivating others to carry forward and execute a strategy without needing to be in the room.
- You have a user and evidence-based problem solving mentality. You are constantly looking to hone your teams instincts through user feedback and data insight. You understand the role and importance of qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
- You are hungry to learn and evolve in all things. From leadership skills to design craft to process to industry and market trends — you never stop pushing into the next big challenge.
- You are familiar and comfortable motivating large design systems that you may or may not own directly. Balancing the needs of our user experience principles and business goals with the practicalities of a company that values speed-to-ship over all things.
- You are able to provide a brief explanation in your application of why you are excellent for this role, while highlighting the part of the work you led versus what you did in those roles.
It doesn’t matter who you are, where you come from or what’s on your playlist. The Spotify platform is for everyone. And so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented in our business, the more we rock. It’s that simple. So bring us your past, your passion, your personality and your unique point of view, and let’s make beautiful music together. Because we all perform our best when we all feel part of the band.