The Platform department creates the technology ecosystem that enables Spotify to learn and deliver quickly, while safely and easily scaling to billion customers, and enabling our rapid employee growth around the globe. Our team consists of six organisational units (known as ‘tribes’) that reflect the needs and groupings of our internal customers – from the shared approaches to supporting and aligning the craft and practice of designers, engineers, researchers, and data scientists – to the frameworks, capabilities and tools they need to do their work as effectively, quickly, and safely as possible. We are an amplifier for productivity, quality, and innovation across Spotify.
We are looking for engineers who are passionate about both big data and building infrastructure to support teams who use it. You will be joining one of the teams that build, maintain and support our rapidly growing platform for collection, instrumentation, experimentation, and processing of data. Spotify collects events generated by millions of clients and uses them for creating financial reports, generating insights on our product, and powering features like the hugely successful Discover Weekly and Fan Insights portal. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music.
Over the last couple of years, our data platform has become increasingly critical to our business and we have data engineers in virtually all our engineering teams. The data platform enables our engineering teams to implement features that provide a personalized and relevant Spotify experience. We are currently looking for candidates to join one of four different infrastructure teams working with:
What you’ll do
- Infrastructure for reliably collecting and delivering petabytes of new events per day on Google Cloud Platform
- Systems for scheduling, orchestrating and deploying thousands of our distinct data pipelines that run ~hundreds of thousands of tasks per day
- Monitoring, alerting and debugging infrastructure for data pipelines
- Infrastructure to instrument and analyze user behaviour
Who you are
- Design, build, scale, and evolve our data platform, services and tooling
- Engage with the data community at Spotify about its use of the data platform
- Be a part of transitioning Spotify to the next generation data platform
- Be an active contributor to Free Software projects in the Big Data field
- Take an active part in the operation rotations that keep our infrastructure up and running
- Java/JVM knowledge is important; Scala is a bonus, as is Python
- You are passionate about creating clean code and have a strong foundation in coding
- You are pragmatic and understand the tradeoffs between the perfect solution and a working solution
- You are familiar with and enthusiastic about software engineering best practices such as testing, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- You are a strong team player who is proactive in collaborating with other software engineers
- Experience with large scale distributed systems is a bonus, but not a requirement
- Having operational experience is a bonus, but not a requirement
- You have a few years of relevant experience, or much more; we welcome diverse applicants with various seniority levels.
You will work from our awesome headquarter in Stockholm – we offer relocation packages if you do not currently live in Sweden.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.