Delivering the best Spotify experience possible. To as many people as possible. In as many moments as possible. That’s what the Experience team is all about. We use our deep understanding of consumer expectations to enrich the lives of millions of our users all over the world, bringing the music and audio they love to the devices, apps and platforms they use every day. Know what our users want? Join us and help Spotify give it to them.
As an engineering manager at Spotify your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work and generally having a great time at Spotify. As a lead for strong engineers in R&D, technical leadership and a solid background in software development is a must, so that you’re able to challenge and grow your team members. You will also have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery and work with your team on strategy and execution, all with close collaboration with other leaders in the organization.
This Engineering Manager position is in the Playback Tribe and the new manager will work directly with a team that builds our video playback capabilities. The Playback Tribe owns a big part of the core Spotify experience — making users feel like all the content in the world is in their pocket — from encoding, through delivery and download, on to playback context and core audio and video decoding and playback. We have a unique cross-section of client, backend, and network engineering, with a heap of data analysis as well. We keep Spotify running smoothly and help drive both significant user experience improvements and significant cost savings for Spotify in the long-term.
What you’ll do
Who you are
- You will build and lead a team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Be an active part of the tribe leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- You will be based in Stockholm, but occasionally travel globally
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring software developers towards delivering timely, high-quality software together with them
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
We do not expect any specific domain knowledge around video playback for this role.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.