The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Daily Mix to Discover Weekly, we’re behind some of Spotify’s most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and you’ll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them.
On the Personalization Team, we seek to understand the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else so that we can make great recommendations to every individual person and keep the world listening. Everyday, hundreds of millions of people all over the world use the products we build which include destinations like “Home” and “Search” as well as original playlists such as “Discover Weekly” and “Daily Mix.” We’re a team of technologists, product insight experts, designers, and product managers in Boston, New York, Stockholm, and London.
You will closely collaborate with our internal customers to determine the best API and backend system design to meet their scalability needs. You will build the backend systems that power our application, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences music.
*Please note, this posting represents multiple roles across various teams*
What You’ll Do
Who You Are
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to determine how to design backend systems and APIs to meet their scalable needs
- Architect, develop, and operate Java services deployed to millions of users
- Leverage Spotify’s many data sets to create awesome music recommendations
- Be a technical leader and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile team
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems, creating awesome music sessions for users worldwide
- Be a leader of the Spotify-wide backend developer community affecting and driving our architecture across the company
- Work on what you want during regular hack days and bi-annual hack weeks
- Work from our awesome headquarters in Stockholm where we solve problems in the areas of Music Recommendations, Personalized Sets, and Music Understanding
- You have experience working directly with stakeholders to understand, document and develop APIs and systems to meet their requirements, driving increased adoption and reducing reliance on custom one-off implementations
- You have experience writing distributed, high-volume services and know how to deploy and keep them running in production
- You have interest in big data processing technologies
- You love working in an environment where you constantly experiment and iterate quickly
- You believe data is the most powerful tool for informed decision-making
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 271 million users.