Delivering the best Spotify experience possible. To as many people as possible. In as many moments as possible. That’s what the Experience team is all about. We use our deep understanding of consumer expectations to enrich the lives of millions of our users all over the world, bringing the music and audio they love to the devices, apps and platforms they use every day. Know what our users want? Join us and help Spotify give it to them.
We’re looking for a Staff Engineer to join the SDK tribe that’s part of the Consumer business area. Our teams are responsible for the APIs, SDKs and services that power Spotify’s consumer experiences platforms like desktop, web, TVs, speakers, cars, wearables, and partner application integrations to make the product available wherever our users are.
The SDK tribe’s mission is to accelerate the reinvention and distribution of the core Spotify user experience, i.e. we provide a solid platform for others to build and experiment on. We currently serve millions of monthly active users through our backend services, SDKs and APIs with tens of thousands of requests per second.
As a Staff Engineer you will be part of the tribe leadership team and help the tribe develop and maintain a healthy and progressive technical roadmap that maximises our reach and impact for the business. You will grow the team and its customer teams by promoting sound engineering practices, drive work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assess the technical state of teams, advocate for best practices broadly, and give focused support to specific teams as necessary.
You will help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in reasonable time. You will also be expected to mentor other engineers as they grow.
What you’ll do
Who you are
- Be a technical leader and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile team and within Spotify in general.
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise.
- Architect, develop, and operate Java based APIs and services deployed to millions of users.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems, creating awesome music sessions for users worldwide.
- Be a leader of the Spotify-wide backend and client developer community affecting and driving our architecture across the company.
- Find ways to spread learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, leveling up our engineering practices and mentoring other engineers.
- Work directly with suppliers and partners to influence technical platforms and decisions.
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Spotify.
- You have 8+ years of experience in engineering.
- You have proven experience as a technical leader for a team or department.
- You have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment.
- You have experience mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices.
- You possess a deep understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech.
- In the past, you have solved problems that affect the larger engineering organization.
- You are passionate about developing products for hundreds of millions of consumers and platforms that are used by hundreds of business users and engineers.
- You are passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best practices in your areas of expertise.
- As a great influencer with great communication skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow.
- You possess technical knowledge where you can showcase your expertise by speaking at both internal and external conferences.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 258 million users.