Delivering the best Spotify experience possible. To as many people as possible. In as many moments as possible. That’s what the Experience team is all about. We use our deep understanding of consumer expectations to enrich the lives of millions of our users all over the world, bringing the music and audio they love to the devices, apps and platforms they use every day. Know what our users want? Join us and help Spotify give it to them.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to lead teams that build APIs, SDKs, and services that power Spotify’s consumer experiences on platforms like desktop, web, TVs, speakers, cars, wearables, and partner application integrations.
The SDK team focuses on making it easy to create the best Spotify experience for any device or product. We provide a solid platform for others to build and experiment on, which enables us to make our product available wherever our users are. We currently serve tens of millions of monthly active users through our backend services, SDKs and APIs with tens of thousands of requests per second.
As a Director of Engineering, you will work closely with your Product counterpart to define and execute on a healthy and progressive product and technical strategy that maximizes our reach and impact for the business. You will also drive impact through the Engineering Managers who report to you by promoting sound engineering practices, drive work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assessing the technical state of teams, advocating for best practices broadly, and providing focused mentoring to teams. You will help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time.
What you’ll do
Who you are
- Be a technical leader and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile tribe and within Spotify in general.
- Be accountable for the technical vision and long-term technology strategy. Work closely with your product peers to define product vision and strategy.
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and other engineering leaders to enable experiences that build awesome music sessions for Spotify users worldwide.
- Lead and support the talented engineers who architect, develop, and operate Java based APIs and services deployed.
- Lead and support the Spotify-wide backend and client developer community, influencing and driving our architecture across the company.
- Enable learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, leveling up our engineering practices and mentoring other engineers.
- Work directly with suppliers and partners to influence technical platforms and decisions.
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Spotify.
- You have several years of experience in leading an engineering organization.
- You have shown experience as a technical leader for other managers.
- Prior to your technical leadership experience, you have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment.
- You have experience mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering the best engineering practices.
- You possess a deep understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech.
- In the past, you have solved problems that affect the larger engineering organization.
- You are passionate about developing products for hundreds of millions of consumers and platforms that are used by hundreds of business users and engineers.
- You are passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best practices in your areas of expertise.
- As a great influencer with great communication skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow.
- You possess technical leadership knowledge where you can showcase your expertise by speaking at both internal and external conferences.
You will be working from our awesome offices in central Stockholm. We offer relocation packages if you do not currently live in Sweden.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 286 million users.