The best place to work in the Global Automotive Industry. Join us on this exciting journey into the future, we want to hear from you!
Thesis Worker at Volvo Cars
Welcome to explore the world of Volvo Cars by writing your thesis with us! As a thesis worker in our organization you are supported by a supervisor who follows you during your project. All thesis projects are arranged in business critical areas and therefore you will be able to contribute to our company purpose – providing freedom to move in a safe, sustainable and personal way – from day one!
At Volvo Car’s Research & Development, you will be a contributor to the next generation of outstanding premium cars from Volvo, together with other engineers around the world by creating innovative human-centric car technology that makes life less complicated and more enjoyable for people.
The team Operational Sound Quality secure that the sound from various systems in the car, such as seat adjustments, power windows, cleaning systems and opening/closing sounds of hood, tailgate, and side doors communicate quality. Today, one of our major challenges is to improve our competence in using robust design concepts in early phases to meet shorter lead time by avoiding the late design changes throughout the development phases and reducing the need for physical complete vehicle prototypes.
Door closing sound is one of the very first impressions of a car and is also frequently experienced by the user. It is important that the sound communicates premium quality. The ideal is one single short sound, low frequent character with absence of ringing tonal components and rattles.
Currently we lack virtual methods to simulate the dynamic behavior of the door closing event with respect to sound quality.
The project comprises of two major activities:
1. Run simulations of the door closing event with both implicit and explicit finite element solvers.
2. Study data from the simulations and already existing physical measured data.
The main objectives of the work are:
• To identify sensitive parameters/details in the finite element models with respect to accurate representation of the closing event in general and closing sound in particular.
• To define relationships between output from the finite element simulation and essential parameters that describes a good closing sound.
The exact outline of tasks in the project will be decided together with the master's students upon the beginning of the thesis work.
• A Literature review of previous studies on door closing sound with a focus on the virtual assessment
• Plan the simulations
• Collect and build simulation models
• Run simulations
• Analyse the response of the door from the virtual finite element simulations and from physical measurements to find the relationships between them
• Write the final report
• Present the results at Volvo Car Corporation
Your contribution is our future
• Passionate for cars, especially noise and vibration
• Eager to take on responsibility for planning and conducting virtual analysis
• Understanding finite element, modal analysis and structural dynamics
• Interested in working with data analysis
• Previous experience in using FE pre-processors such as Ansa is meritorious
Office, workshop, computer, software and main models will be arranged by Volvo Cars or the university.
• The project is suited for one or two students (it amounts to 30 ECTS credits for each student).
• The work is planned for about 20 full-time working weeks for each student
• Estimated start date: January 2023 according to the agreement
Be part of the change – apply today!
If you are interested, please apply, by sending the following documents within your application:
• CV and a Cover letter highlighting your skills and knowledge required to perform this task
• Grades, especially for related courses at university
Please note that due to GDPR, applications via email will not be accepted.
Last application date is 2022-11-15
For questions about the thesis work, please contact Henrik Viktorsson at email: email@example.com.
We are Volvo Cars
Volvo Cars is a company on a mission to bring traditional car manufacturing into a connected, sustainable and smart future. Since 1927, we've been known for our commitment to safety and for creating innovative cars that make life less complicated. In 2010, we decided to radically redefine our business, resulting in a totally new generation of cars and technology, as well as steady growth and record sales - and we're only getting started. By 2025, we aim to have yearly sales of 1.2 million cars, 50% of which will be electric vehicles and sold directly to customers through digital channels. We also intend to strengthen our position as a modern, progressive employer committed to diversity and gender and racial equality. We believe in the power of people. Join us and be part of Volvo Cars' transformation.
Ange nedan vart du önskar arbeta och glöm inte bort att ange din e-postadress!