The best place to work in the Global Automotive Industry. Join us on this exciting journey into the future, we want to hear from you!
Thesis Worker at Volvo Cars
Welcome to explore the world of Volvo Cars by writing your thesis with us! As a thesis worker in our organization you are supported by a supervisor who follows you during your project. All thesis projects are arranged in business critical areas and therefore you will be able to contribute to our company purpose – providing freedom to move in a safe, sustainable and personal way – from day one!
The Electric Drive department 97700 at Volvo Cars is proud of being responsible for designing and delivering system solutions and functionality for the inverters, electric machine, and transmission, in our electrified vehicles.
Our vision is to become “Leading in electrification” and we are aiming to contribute to world class energy efficiency, E-machine functionality, sustainability, customer satisfaction and best performance and drivability, to all our future products.
An accurate assessment of an E-machine’s electrical characteristics and losses is critical in predicting system performance and ensuring a safe and reliable system operation.
The influence of mechanical stress on the magnetic properties of ferromagnetic materials (on BH curve shapes) is a complex problem—there is a strong asymmetry and non-monotonous change of magnetization under tension and compression. To understand the reasons of such a behavior, it is necessary to study the magnetic domain evolution simultaneously with bulk magnetic hysteresis measurements.
These stresses on ferromagnetic material impacts at the domain levels which changes the hysteresis curves of the ferromagnetic material and the corresponding power loss. Thus, there is a need to study the effect of stress on steel sheets, in order to map the corrected BH curve properties which can be useful for better electromagnetic design of electric machines.
Activities we foresee that should be done during this thesis work are:
- Literature study on effect of stress on EM losses and respective methods for predicting them. Literature study on different possible hardware setups.
- A magnetizing frame for testing samples needs to be developed which will be applied with mechanical stress. The mechanical design of the setup is crucial and needs to be done with precision.
- A load cell needs to be used to apply compressive stress on samples which will be installed in the magnetizing frame. The load cell calibration needs to be done at first place before installing it in the frame.
-The BH curves and their corresponding power loss curves needs to be traced using a control program connected with a standard power amplifier setup.
- Different electric steel materials will be tested (B.Sc.), and a corresponding FE analysis (M.Sc.) needs to be conducted for an electric machine to analyze the effect of stress in modelling.
- Production of final report.
Your contribution is our future
You are studying either M.Sc./B.Sc. Electrical engineering, or B.Sc. Mechanical engineering, or similar. Understanding in electric circuits, electric machines, iron losses and hands on experience with mechanical setups is highly valuable.
• The duration of this thesis work is approx. 4-5 months (full time/part time).
• Starting date is in January 2023, exact date to be discussed.
• 30/15 ECTS
• This thesis work will be conducted at Volvo Cars Gothenburg and in collaboration with Chalmers Institute of Technology for development of the hardware setup.
• This thesis work is to be conducted by 2 students working in pair.
• Office, computer, and software will be organized by Volvo Cars,
in close co-operation with your university.
Be part of the change – apply today!
Selection will be ongoing during the application period, so do not hesitate to send in your application. Attach your resume and cover letter and copies of grades. You can provide a reference if you like.
Please note that due to GDPR, applications by email will not be accepted.
If you have any additional questions regarding the position, you are welcome to contact us.
Supervisor: Rishabh Raj, email@example.com (+46 729 62 71 52)
Hiring manager: Anders Thulin, firstname.lastname@example.org (+46 723 71 60 43)
We want your application at the latest by 2022-12-18
We are Volvo Cars
Volvo Cars is a company on a mission to bring traditional car manufacturing into a connected, sustainable and smart future. Since 1927, we've been known for our commitment to safety and for creating innovative cars that make life less complicated. In 2010, we decided to radically redefine our business, resulting in a totally new generation of cars and technology, as well as steady growth and record sales - and we're only getting started. By 2025, we aim to have yearly sales of 1.2 million cars, 50% of which will be electric vehicles and sold directly to customers through digital channels. We also intend to strengthen our position as a modern, progressive employer committed to diversity and gender and racial equality. We believe in the power of people. Join us and be part of Volvo Cars' transformation.
Ange nedan vart du önskar arbeta och glöm inte bort att ange din e-postadress!